Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Naked Cowboy and Brokeback Mountain

Being an art major, I LOVE art classes. My favorite class? Life Drawing. If you aren't sure what this is, it's when you draw naked people. Live, naked models... yep... naked... so mature. And no, I don't like it just 'cause their naked. I just think the human body is incredible. And I love drawing. So there.

Well, I'm in my third semester of life drawing. We currently have three models: one female and two males. They alternate days when they model, but one of the male models has been modeling for this class for about 6 years. Because I have been drawing him for awhile, I have gotten to know him. Not in an awkward way, but he's just a really good guy... Okay... ANYWAYS, this semester, a different professor, Amy Nelson, is teaching the course compared to John Thein, who normally teaches it. She is more liberal than the John in just everything she does. Her drawing approaches, her techniques, her advice, and just the way she has us artistically interact with the models. John is more formal and traditional with how he says we should draw the models, but Amy wants us to more creatively approach the models and the ways in which we represent them.

So, on Tuesday in Life Drawing, I show up, get my charcoal, drawing board, and paper all set up, and in comes the model (the one I know the best and have been drawing for awhile). Nothing is different, he's just wearing his robe, but I see he's carrying a bag. I remember that Amy said that he could bring in props for the next class to use during poses. Well, I couldn't tell what he had with him, but I didn't really think much else of it. I made my coffee, walked back to my easel, and was ready to draw. When I looked up to begin drawing the model, that's when I saw them. His props. What were they? A cowboy hat and cowboy boots. Yes... you read that correctly. There the model was... completely naked except for wearing the hat and the boots...

I seriously didn't know how to react. So, naturally, I started laughing hysterically. At the beginning of the class on the very first day, all the students get a huge lecture from the professor about being professional and respectful of the models. Me laughing? Not that respectful and professional. But really? A male model (who also happens to gay) wearing nothing but a cowboy hat and cowboy boots? How professional is THAT? Well, after receiving a few responsive glares from the beginning students as a result of my outburst, the model looked at me and just starts laughing too.

It was all just absurd. Luckily I didn't make a complete jerk out of myself, but that drawing session gave an awkward new meaning to Brokeback Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment