Monday, September 21, 2009

Workin' on my Fitness!

Like I have mentioned on numerous occasions, I'm clumsy.  Ignoring this known fact about myself, I thought it would be a good idea to train for a half-marathon.  I kind of suck at running, so I definitely needed a head start to help train my body.  I started "training" in April... (right now, "training" means running at least a few times a week just to get used to running being a part of my weekly habits).  

Let's look at the Beth Half Marathon Training Equation shall we?:

Beth + Clumsiness + Running + Outdoors + Gyms + "unobservantness" = Disaster

Here are a few good stories from my running experiences so far:

1.  I ran into a bush.  I was doing just great on this particular run... before this occurrence.  I was feeling really good, I just got used to running outside and figuring out a good pace, it was a day I was suppose to run farther than I ever had, and I was making great time.  Well, I had just a couple of blocks left to complete.  I was still feeling really good and thought I could run a little further, so I decided to take a different route downtown.  Well, I turned a corner, and there was a bush.  Just right there.  I ran into it, tripped over it, stumbled and almost fell on my face.  I stopped for a second, looked up, and across the street, there was a little deli place where people were eating lunch outside.  Of course people started laughing.  Let's just say, I ran faster than ever after that.  I had some good scrapes to prove it too!

2. Geese chased after me.  For those of you who know the downtown Omaha area, I like to run around the ConAgra lake.  Well, during the day, the lake is filled with ducks and geese... really BIG ducks and geese.  Normally, they just chill out and watch me as a pass by.  But one day, I was taking a little rest and just walking.  Well, I realized I walked right next to a Goose nest, and the next thing I knew, a stupid goose started honking at me (most obnoxious sound ever) and Geese started chasing me after me.  I never realized how violent they are... I ran away and now, whenever I pass by Geese, I run a little bit faster.

3. A couple weeks ago, I started to get shin splints and my right ankle (which I dislocated freshman year in high school) started to flare up.  My beginners training for the Lincoln half marathon was put on a hold for a little bit while I stretched and used the elliptical.  Well, today, I got back into running.  I decided to go to the Harper Center gym since I was already on campus (and they have an amazing facility).  Well, I don't go in there very often because I usually just run outside or use my apartment's fitness center, but I did my little routine: Stretch, walk, run, walk, stretch, weights, stretch.  Since the flu is going around, I decided to go to the bathroom to wash my hands when I was done.  So, I walk into the bathroom... and I see a urinal... I pause there for a second, the light-bulb turns on, and I run out.  Totally walked into the men's room.  I am not sure if anyone saw me...

Working out and running, average things to do, even turn awkward and ridiculous.  Love my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment