Monday, September 28, 2009

4 second rule = IDIOTIC

Every Wednesday after junior high youth group, all of the leaders go to either Applebees or Cheeseburger in Paradise for half off appetizers.  It is a beautiful tradition. Well, on this one particular summer Wednesday, I was having a horrible day.  I was just in a bad mood... one of those moods that anything little will set you off.  Not to mention, I think this was the night Alex Hall dropped Queso on my pants.  I wanted to vomit (I HATE cheese, for any of you who do not know...).  Okay, anyways, so we finish up our little appetizer time and I start driving home.  Well, I live about 30 minutes from church, so it is quite a trek.  Well, I was on 1-80 and about 4 miles from my exit, I see a K-9 unit police SUV start driving next to me... Yes, those are the drug bust police cars.  AWESOME.  I hate cops so I make sure I am driving the speed limit. A mile before my exit, I get stuck behind a semi going ten under the speed limit... But with the stupid cop still near me, of COURSE I am not going to try and speed up enough to pass him.  Well, as soon as I am about to get onto my exit, yep, you guessed it, Mr. K-9 turns on his lights. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.  My bad day turned HORRIBLE.  I angrily got out all my registration and insurance crap cause I knew he was going to ask for it.   I look to my window and there he is... just waiting for me... jerk. I roll down my window and I hand him all the information he asked for. Now, here is how the rest of the conversation went: 

Where are you headed?
Home.
Where's home?
14th and Jackson.
Where are you coming from?
I know this may sound cliche, but youth group.
Have you been drinking tonight?
.... What? No! I just came from youth group.
Okay, you just need to calm down.
Umm... I AM calm!
Do you know why I pulled you over?
No idea, actually.
It's really loud on the road, do you mind coming into my vehicle to talk more?
Really?
Yes.
... ugh, Alright.
(Get out and go to his car. He starts looking up all my info on his little computer while his German shepherd in the back seat is smelling me from behind his little panel thing...)
Who is Dennis Cavender?
My dad.
Why are you all the way in Nebraska if you are from Illinois?
I go to school at Creighton.
Oh great, what are you studying?
Art and Education.
So why were you out west again?
I told you, I work with a youth group and I was just driving home from it.
What church?
Stonebridge Christian Church. 156th and Maple.
Have you been drinking tonight?
No. You want the youth pastor's name and phone nu
mber to confirm?
No, that won't be necessary. Have you been pulled over before?
Yes, sir.
Do you know why I pulled you over?
... No.
You were following too closely to the semi in front of you.
... That's a law?
Have you ever heard of the 4 second rule?
Sounds familiar... but I'm not sure. What is it?
You watch a car pass a landmark, count to 4, and then you pass the landmark.  That's how spaced out you should be.
I thought that was more of a safety thing...
And you have not been drinking tonight?
Ummm.... NO.
Well, I guess this time, I will give you a verbal warni
ng. Next time, watch your spacing.
Okay... Thanks...?

Dumb cop just looking for a drink driver. And have you ever done that 4 second thing? Honestly, that is SOOOO much space. No one follows t
hat "rule". 

No comments:

Post a Comment