You could say that I don't always have the best luck with ski trips. When I was in seventh grade, I broke my wrist in three different places while sledding... three days BEFORE our Christmas ski trip. Result? A week of staying in our condo watching moral court tv with my Grandma while everyone else enjoyed the beautiful mountains. Three years ago, we went to our house in Palisade, Colorado (Western side of the mountains). I decided to snowboard... andddd that wasn't so good. Feeling confident, I decided to go down the mountain with the rest of my family... Roughest run of my life. Exhausted and frustrated, I caught an edge wrong and slipped backwards, slamming my head on ice. Result? A concussion and two sick days. Senior year on a youth group ski trip to Devil's Head, WI, I wasn't paying attention while on a lift. Result? Everyone else getting off just fine and me falling off, face first into the snow right in front of the lift. I was only "slightly" embarrassed when the lift operator had to stop the entire lift to help me up. There have also been numerous minor injuries and dozens of bruises. But, I am sure that none of this surprises you...
Well, I hope I am not speaking too quickly, but this ski trip has been relatively good for me! After not having skied for a few years, I would say I'm doing quite well. I have had a couple of good falls, but nothing too serious. Overall, I am just sore, but that's common. And maybe my new helmet helps out just a little bit.
Even though no serious injuries have developed (yet...), awkwardness still followed me to Colorado.
Yesterday, I went skiing with my sisters and their husbands while my dad stayed behind to take a day off. We were on our third run or so when every pulled to the side of the run to rest for a second. I, however, missed the memo that we were all going to stop, and being on the other side of the run, I didn't have time to cross over to stop with them. I kept skiing down and stopped in front of one of those "SLOW" banners. Well, the blue run we were on collided with a green run... so naturally, there were people of various of ski abilities that ended up on the same mountain at some point. When I stopped by that sign, I noticed a little girl, probably about six years old, next to me. One by one, other six year olds started flying down the green run and stopped right next to the little girl. After about two minutes, I looked behind me, and there were eight or nine five-six year olds surrounding me. They were either friends or in the same ski school is what it looked like... but I didn't see any instructor. I look up the mountain to where my sisters and brother-in-laws were and they were sitting there, staring at me, and laughing hysterically.
I apparently either 1) Looked like the mother of the flock of little children, 2) Looked like the ski instructor, or 3) Looked like one of them.
I looked around me again and all the little kids were staring at me. I didn't really know what to say so I just asked them how their day was and if they were having fun. Luckily, I didn't stay too much longer by that sign and with all the kids. But, my family did laugh at me for the remainder of the day.
Just picture that sight in your mind... Me. Surrounded by a herd of little ski children. Hanging out together at the bottom of the ski run. Nice.
Next time, I'll try to be a little more aware of when my group is stopping so I don't have to look like a child, a mother, a ski instructor, or just an adult who is so bad at skiing I had to be in a class with five and six year olds.
No comments:
Post a Comment