So, since I am progressively taking over teaching duties in the classroom, my cooperating teacher thought it would be a good idea for me to start taking over her bus duties too... oh joy. Well, imagine me and my handy-dandy bud duty clipboard, walking through the hallways all bundled up and ready to conquer the mini blizzard outside, hoping that the buses would actually be able to take all these kids home. Well, I went to my assigned bus, and thank goodness, all the kids were there. One by one, I am checking their names off. One of my kindergarten students, Mariella, was sitting at the front of the bus right next to where I was taking attendance. She keeps looking at me all funny, so I look at her and just smile.
This is how the rest of the story/conversation went:
"Are you blind?" - Mariella
"Umm... what? No, I'm your art teacher and I am looking at you right now... I guess I don't understand." - Me
"Well... your eyes..." - Mariella
My guess is that because my eyes are light blue, she thought I had cataracts. She is Hispanic so she most likely has not spent too much personal time with people with light blue eyes...
Part of me wants to say thank you but another part of me is just genuinely confused... I've never been asked that before.
Huh... Welp, there's a first for everything...
No comments:
Post a Comment