Last August, I went on a date with this guy... we'll just call him Mike. He was an acquaintance but we had been hanging out a lot in groups, so when he asked me out, I thought, What the heck? Why not? He's a really great guy. So, that next night, Mike comes to pick me up and we walk to a local coffee shop (I really like coffee dates as first dates cause they are super chill, so I thought this was starting off on a good note). So we order our coffee, he pays (point for being a gentleman), but... then he kind of just walked away while we were waiting for our coffee. Like, he just went on the other side of the coffee bar. So, we were both standing and waiting for our coffee, but he was like 10 feet away from me. It was a little weird. Well, after our coffee is all ready to go, went to go sit down outside (at least we sat at the same table...). We talked for about two hours and overall, it was really good conversation. I mean, the only strange thing was that we didn't talk much about ourselves but we talked a lot about other people and just random stories. I mean, that's cool and all, but since we weren't THAT great of friends, shouldn't we have been talking about ourselves so we could get to know one another? Well, maybe that's just me. One of our conversations was about this kids movie we both watched when we were younger. It's called Once Upon A Forest. Really weird cartoon movie about toxic gases wiping out all these forest animals... I know, strange. But anyways, he made some comment about us watching it. I didn't think much about it and just replied with something like, Oh yeah, we should have a big movie night where we just watch all the movies we watched when we were little. That would be hilarious. The 'we' I was referring to meant a big group of people... not just Mike and I. Well, we left the coffee place and walked back to my apartment. Overall, it was a good date and the perfect amount of time. I was ready to go back upstairs and kind of just sit around alone for awhile. I took out my keys, ready to thank Mike for taking me out (and even possibly considering another date)... buttttttttt Mike wasn't done yet....
This is where the REAL awkwardness begins...
Mike, instead of walking me to my door, walked to his car. I looked at him confused and he told me to get in 'cause we were going to Blockbuster. I didn't know what to say, so I made the mistake by getting in the car. He told me on the drive there that he wanted to rent Once Upon A Forest. The frickin' kids movie? You want to watch that now? What about that movie night? Who watches forest creature cartoons on a date? We arrive at blockbuster and he leads the way... and I? I'm trailing behind and trying to evaluate if the situation was real. Well, he went right towards the kids section and was looking earnestly for this stupid movie. I was not, however. I was wandering through the other aisles trying NOT to look for it. Then I thought, wait, maybe I SHOULD go over there and find it so that I can hide it and we don't have to watch it. But, when I start walking over there, Mike is already asking the guy at the computer if they have it or not. Awkwardly I make the suggestion of just going home and finding it later, but then I heard the fatal words of that unholy Blockbuster employee: Yeah, we have it. It's in. SHOOT. They both go digging in the family section. I stand back and watch nervously. LUCKILY, after about 5 minutes of looking, they still couldn't find it. Oh darn, we'll just have to do a rain check, I say. We finally leave Blockbuster. FINALLY. He parks in front of my apartment and I thought he was just going to walk me to my door and say goodbye...
Again, I thought wrong.
All the way back to the door, he is telling me a story. A very long, detailed story. I paused at my door with my keys just waiting for him to finish so I could say goodbye, but he just kept on going. It was at this moment I realized he wanted to come inside. I didn't want to be rude so I let him come in with me. While in my apartment, we sat at my kitchen island just chatting a little bit. He tells me some... very interesting things... like what he wants to name his first daughter... hmmmmm. NOT okay... especially on a first date. After this, we proceeded to sit at the island not even facing each other and not even speaking to each other. We sat there for 30 seconds. Without a WORD or a GLANCE. Longest 30 seconds of my life. Shortly after this (he was in my apartment for about an hour), he left.
First dates are awkward... there was no second date and NO watching of Once Upon a Forest.
No comments:
Post a Comment