Since I am too scared to drive on the left side of the street (and too cheap to get a car for 6 months), my choice of transportation is the Metro bus. I have notice a DRASTIC difference between the public transportation system here in ChristChurch versus that of Omaha or even Chicago... It is SUPER nice. Really really clean and almost everyone takes it. It's pretty cool, actually.
So, I was on my way to work this morning, and it was my official first day of taking the bus all by myself so I could get used to the system. I was really excited, because I got on my right line at the right time and I arrived at my stop. NO PROBLEMS. I was so proud.
Then came the matter of getting OFF the bus. Rule here is: People get off the bus first and then let everyone else at the stop on. Well, I was toward the front of the bus so that basically meant I was the first one responsible for getting off. I stand up, walk off... and TOTALLY underestimated how far the footpath (sidewalk) was from the bus... and ate it. And of course, the bud stop was totally full of people trying to get on and a lot of people on the bus waiting to get off because it is a really popular stop.
Luckily, people in NZ are way nicer than people in the states and a couple people helped me up. I brushed off and after thanking people, I walked quickly to the office.
Just because I am on the opposite side of the world doesn't mean that my awkwardness didn't follow me here...
No comments:
Post a Comment