Think back to middle school... the years of acne, braces, and awkwardly detailed sex ed classes. The times when a kid farted in class, everyone laughed, thus keeping them distracted for the rest of the class period. The years of raging hormones and efforts of self-discovery. Seriously though, middle school sucked. I know I was awkward... and even if you deny it, you were awkward too.
I have SO many stories to tell from my student teaching experience thus far. But, to save time, I am just going to write out some of my favorite moments, the most memorable quotes, and some little details about some of my students.
Here's the set up: I am teaching 7th, 8th, and 8th honors art at a local lower income public school. Most kids are African American. I have a lot of ESL (English as a Second Language) and ELL students. They are basically all taller than I am.
Teryn: Miss Cavender, what was your first job?
Me: I was a swim instructor and a lifeguard.
Devont'ae: Yeah, that seems fitting for you.
Me: How is that?
Devont'ae: I mean, you seem like... well, you're in shape... I mean you look like you have the figure for it... like you look good, I mean in shape... (stammering and stuttering through this)
Me: .......
Jack: Wow, Devont'ae. Tell us how you really feel.
Jack: Why are your eyes white?
Me: They aren't white.
Jack: Yeah they are.
Me: You're in art class, what color are my eyes?
Jack: ... white.
Me: ... And I have failed as your art teacher.
Me: Megan, how was visiting your twin in Minneapolis this weekend? (her and her sister were separated at birth and just got in contact.. crazy but true.)
Megan: Good! We had fun.
Me: Are you two anything alike?
Megan: Well, not really... she likes to play outside and I don't...
Me: ... oh... anything else that's different?
Megan: ... well, she likes dogs and I don't.
Me: Well, I guess I could see how that would be difficult.
Tyreshia: You's a party girl, ain't you?
Me: Why did you even bring that up? Get back to work, please.
Tyreshia: Yeah you isssss... you is craaaaaaaazy. You be on one of those party block shows. Hollaaaaa.
Brandon: Miss Cavender, what is the chance of one of your students getting your number?
Me: One in a million.
Brandon: So you're saying there's a chance?
Me: Um, absolutely not... wait, did you just quote 'Dumb and Dumber'?
Brandon: Yep.
Me: Nice.
Capria: Miss Cavender?
Me: Yes Capria?
Capria: If I tell you something, do you promise not to get mad?
Me: Um, it depends on what it is...
Capria: ... Okay, well I'll just tell you anyways... your clothes don't match.
Levi: I can blow bubbles out of my eyes... WANNA SEE?!
Me: Ew, no.
Levi: Too bad, I am showing you anyways.
Scott and RD: Miss Cavender, it's 4/20.
Here's a story about one of my favorite students named Mason. He is kind of the loner, artsy type. He listens to hardcore music and is always really good in class. He he almost a black belt in some kind of karate or martial arts. Kind of on the small side and not really one of the popular kids. I guess he had been being kind of bullied for awhile. Well, last week, he was gone Monday thru Thursday... 4 days gone is obviously due to a suspension. I later found out that I guess after school the previous Friday, that bully started to tease Mason again. Mason I guess just had enough and beat the CRAP out of this 5'11 8th grader. I am not a big fan of fighting, but to be honest with you, I am pretty gosh dang proud of Mason. I laughed for about 5 minutes straight when I found this out... and I really just want to give him a high five... but I know that would not be very professional...
Okay, more stories and quotes to come... I have TONS... it's just my battery is dying and I don't have my charger with me. Look for PART II soon.
Love this!
ReplyDelete